Saturday, June 5, 2010

5 Questions

 Each month we will publish this column so that members who may have never met can get to know each other. This month’s answers are provided by Jan Novak of Petersburg, TN and Lynn Pallotta or Quebeck, TN.

1) What is your favorite thing to do with your donkey(s)?
Jan
: Just be outside with them and pet and play with them. No matter what is going on they make me laugh and put a smile on my face. Lynn: My favorite thing with my donkeys is to spend time with them, and just enjoy being with them, and being able to keep them (or them being able to keep me!) I would love to be able to show them.

2) Tell us one thing about you we don't know.
Jan
: was in management with Target for over 10 years. I left the company when we moved here from Howell Michigan when Bruce retired from Ford Motor Company. Lynn: I am a very shy and lonely person. (And I have shoveled a billion tons (or more) of manure in my lifetime!)

3) Do you have other animals? If so, tell us about them.
Jan: We have two full size Arabian horses we brought from Michigan, 4 rescue dogs, three are border collies and one Tennessee Mountain Cur, 5 rescue cats, 8 miniature horses, two goats, guinea hens, chickens, and a rescue Pot Belly pig along with all our miniature donkeys. Lynn: I have a 16hh Quarter horse gelding, which is a dream horse. BUT, due to my physical problems and age, by the time I get him up, brush him, saddle and load him to go somewhere, I am too "pooped "(pardon the expression)to ride!!He just hangs out with the donks and eats alot! He is so good that I can go two years without riding, and just saddle him up, and even go in a parade. But of course, he is younger than I am! I have a mini mare, who is a brat-but a great babysitter for the other animals. I have two Tennessee Fainting goat does, who are about 15 years of age. For many years, I raised TFG's and Boer Goats, horses and donkeys, and cows, and pot bellied pigs, etc., etc. Now I just have the two old Nannies (three, counting myself!)I have two Great Pyrenees dogs, to guard my donkeys, and two Belgian Malanois to guard me! And about 28 Donkeys!

4) You are granted a day of perfect weather whenever you like. What day do you place it on and why?
Jan:
After my accident and being laid up for so long any day I can be out with them is a great day. I am back to feeding and getting in with them. Lynn: I place it on today. Four years ago, my husband passed away quite suddenly, and I learned that we have to live for today, as we may not have a tomorrow. And we must thank GOD for every day we have with our loved ones, and our animals.

5) Have you learned a new (household or farm) short-cut/trick/hint lately? If so, what?
Jan: Not one I can think of at the moment. Lynn: If you want to sneak outside, without your donkeys knowing it, you can't! If you want them to go through the gate, they will stop -halfway through. If you don't think donkeys are smart-YOU are dumb! If you put several drops of Mineral oil in your water trough-the mosquitoes can't hatch. If you have Carpenter Bees-you will be miserable- and they will drive everyone crazy. If anyone has a way to get rid of them-I would like to know it! Dogs like the taste of Gorilla Glue and it will expand in their stomachs and kill them-immediate surgery must be done! Don't leave it within reach! WD40 will remove anything sticky. If you have a bad cough, put Vicks generously on the bottom of your feet, put socks on, and it will help soothe your cough